Sunday, October 24, 2010

Electric Wire Hustle

Last night I had the pleasure of seeing Electric Wire Hustle, a neo soul group out of New Zealand, at an intimate loft party in Brooklyn. I'd admittedly never met anyone from that part of the world before, but I wasn't expecting so much soul and swagger.

Their sound amply fits into a genre I call "journey music" - the type that lays an intoxicating base and forces you to be in the moment with it, almost as if in a trance. And in that moment you're loose to feel whatever emotion, memory, or real-time interaction you might be having - fully and freely. Its tone creates a sacred space.

Here's one of my favorites tracks ...



Last night I smiled slyly to the lyrics, "chew on the thing, sexy style" ... though, in the sober light of Sunday morning, I think he might be saying "do her own thing, sense of style." (smile) Both are nice, you decide...

No comments: