Thursday, December 2, 2010

It only takes a few words..

I have been reminded lately just how powerful our words can be. What we speak to ourselves internally and what we allow escape our mouths into the ether has flight, holds weight. Fear and negativity - when ingested, projected, indulged - only foster more of the same. Positive thoughts and energy - when nurtured - regenerate in a similar manner, but they're undeniably more pleasurable to spread and therefore more powerful than any bile-filled, downtrodden pejorative.

It's such a simple, almost quaint idea. One that's shown itself true in my life time after time, but one that can be hard to live by in the muck of the day to day. When I need a reminder I choose and repeat a mantra, an inspirational phrase spoken in the present tense that's calibrated to bring about positive change. The ones that have been on my tongue for years are still potent but I've needed new fodder. This phrase, delivered by a friend this morning in a timely email, is just right :

"You, my dear, are not a fearful woman. You are full of light and hope and love.

I'll accept that and I'll repeat it, again and again. Thank you for lighting up my morning, Friend, for giving me a new tool with which to keep dreaming and stretching and growing.

No comments: