Saturday, August 28, 2010

Watts & 6th

Yesterday Love squinted through the blinds at me on the corner of Watts and 6th Avenue, just as I was mopping up the last bits of my lunch...

I noticed her first. Long auburn flecked hair blew over her face, concealing a sideways kiss. The recipient? An equally full-haired male with olive skin who hugged her closer before allowing her to step back and regather the straps of her handbag up around her bundled shoulder. They stood there, unwilling to let go of each others warmth just yet. Staring, saying nothing with words, emitting it all through energy and body heat.

They parted sooner than I was ready to let them go. As they set off in opposite directions I had a split second to decide who I'd follow with my eyes. Who would be more emotive, who would add more texture to this love story unfolding on an otherwise mundane corner. I chose him, and he didn't disappoint.

He fumbled and bumbled deliciously in the wake of her. A confident stride in a decided direction soon faltered to accommodate a backward glance once, twice, three times in the direction of his Lady. What those glances procured must have been quite inspiring for he paused mid crosswalk, not at all concerned with the car edging forward, revving up the courage to beep. Reluctant steps eventually brought him to the safety of the opposite curb, where he turned in a haze and joined the flow of pedestrian traffic. The curls atop his head bounced above the crowd, which seemed to adopt his amorous amble. How tender.

I watched him recede with a smile all over my face.

No need for dessert, check please.

No comments: